Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Welcome to FNED 346

Welcome to this new assignment in FNED 346... a blogging adventure! Sometime before Sept. 25, you will set up your own blog to use this semester for all of your Talking Points assignments.

A blog is your very own, personal online journal. It is public, in that I and your classmates can read it and comment on it, but it is your space and you can control most everything about it. (If you want to make it private so that *only* members of this class can read it, I can show you how to do so).

In the context of this course, your blog has two purposes:

1) Your blog will provide a space for you to keep all of your Talking Points assignments over the course of our semester together. You will not hand in written assignments to me each week; rather you will post them on your blog. In this sense, your blog is merely your assignment notebook that you will use as you read and prepare for class each week.

2) Creating your own blog will also introduce you to the blogisphere if you don't know this place already. I hope that you will discover creative educational uses for this online medium. You will see how easy it is to use blogger.com, and perhaps it will inspire you to bring blogs into your own classroom someday.

So here's how it works:

You are going to set up your own blog. If you don't think of yourself as very "tech-saavy," don't stress! The site below makes it very easy for you to get your own personal space up and running in no time at all.

Once you get your blogs up and running, I will provide links to each of them on the right of this page (where your names are already listed). You can come here to this page (my blog) if you want to to read what I write, or to link to one another's blogs as well. This site is new and improved so managing, editing, posting, designing and getting creative on your blog is now easier than ever!

To start your own blog, you will go to:

www.blogger.com

The big orange arrow at the bottom right of the page will direct you to creating your own blog on a site called blogspot.com. Follow the instructions to open up a free account. As you fill in the info, you will be asked to name your blog:

http://_______.blogspot.com

This will be the web address associated with your site. you can call it anything you like. Be clever or simple (or both) -- it is up to you.

You will also need to choose a design template for your blog. Look through the options listed and see what appeals to you. Again, up to you. Once it is all set up, you can go in and change things, edit, create a more creative space, etc. As you wish...

Once you have the account set up, you will need to start posting in order to get the blog up and running. (Nothing will show up until you post that first entry.) A “posting” is an entry on your blog. (For clarification, you have one blog, but many postings). Give the posting a title and then compose as you would any journal entry. When you are finished, hit the button at the bottom that says Publish Post. It will not appear on your blog until you publish it. You can always go back and edit old posts and create new ones.

Your First Post:
Your first post should be a short introduction to you: who are you, how your semester is goiung so far, what do you do when you are not in class, etc. (Just a short paragraph — no big deal). You will post the rest of the entries as they are due (see course syllabus for dates),

When you are done creating your site and posting your first entry, please come back to this blog and post a comment at the end of my first posting (scroll down) that includes your blog address so that I can post it in the link list to the right.

Some Tips and Helpful Hints:
  • Once you are in your blog, look at the top right corner of the screen. If you click on the word CUSTOMIZE, you will be able to make design changes, create new posts, edit old posts, etc.
  • If you want to make your blog a bit more interesting, poke around online and make a list of websites related to education, diversity, social justice or anything else relevant and post them on your blog as a Resource List. To do this, view your blog and click on the CUSTOMIZE link at the top right corner of your screen. Click on ADD A NEW ELEMENT, and then choose Link List. This will allow you to add as many links as you desire. They will show up in a box on your blog!
  • Just do the best you can with this. If you get stuck, don't fret... I am happy to help you anytime as you work on getting this started. Send me an email, come see me in office hours, or grab me after class. And remember: you can't break it. It is just a blog. Everything can be changed if need be!
Good luck!!

LB :)

28 comments:

Jessica Cahoon said...

Good Morning Dr. Bogad!
Just a short note to say that I activated my blog (like the nerd I am) and have published my first post "About Me" It is a bit (ok a lot) longer than 500 words... but I can't sum myself up in 500 words or less. My following posts will be better I promise :) See you Tuesday!

Amanda Avelina Gotay said...

Hello professor Bogad,
I've activated my blog :)
See you on tuesday

Brandon Silvia said...

Hello Dr. Bogad,

just posting a comment to let you know i set up my blog along with my first entry, its short and sweet, mainly about the topics you had in the syllabus.

i'd say see you thursday but you wont be there =(

Jessica Cahoon said...

Sounds like a peachy keen plan Dr. Bogad, feel free to use my blog as an example :) See you in class tommorow :)

Kelsey said...

Hey Dr. Bogad!
Just letting you know that i've activated my blog. I just need to fill in my "about me" portion and then i'll be all set. See you Thursday!

Nicole said...

Hey Dr. Bogad
Just letting you know i got my blog all set up. See you in class on Thursday!

Kimdbog said...

Hey there,
This is Kim just saying that I edited my blog from this morning, so I think I'll be all set for now until I have to upload/write something. I started to read that article by McIntosh. I think I'll write on her. Okay, well see or hear from you later!

GEMELA said...

Hello Dr. Bogad,
I've created my blog, I hope I did it right

Alicia said...

So I had success in my first blog posting experience. I still don't understand all of the customizing accessories that come with it. Hopefully I can figure it out. See you Thursday!

justin said...

Hi Dr. Bogad, just finished creating my blog hope it came out alright.
See you in class on thursday.

Stephanie said...

Hey Dr. Bogad,

I just wanted to let you know that I was successful with making my blog and I just posted my first entry. I think I have to play around with it a little more, but I think I will get the hang of it, which is good because I am not very good with computers.

See you in class Thursday!

Ashley L said...

Hi Dr. Bogad! I created my blog! http://ashleysfned346.blogspot.com/ thats the link!

-Ashley =]

Demi Spit said...

Hey just would like to let you know that my blog is finally up (:

Cams said...

Afternoon Dr. Bogad,

Just letting you know I activated my blog and I have done my first post. See you in class tomorrow.

Hilary said...

My blog is all set :)

Amanda Avelina Gotay said...

Hey Professor Bogad,
I posted my second blog,and was hoping you can read it and give me feed back. I don't think I want to discuss it in class though...just wanted to give you a heads up.

Katies Blog said...

hey, i finally made a blog!

Alex said...

Hey Dr. Bogad,
Letting you know I set up my blog.See you Thursday!

Pamela Tufano said...

Hello Dr. Bogad,
Just wanted to let you know that I created my first blog along with some information about me. See you on Thursday

Chris said...

Hey Dr. Bogad-
Its me Chris just dropping in to let you know that my blog is posted and I wrote an about me gig- just in case you need the link its csusiguitarchick.blogspot.com

Also- just a reminder about our mtg 1115 on wed the 26th-
See you soon
C

Alessia Cirelli said...

Good Afternoon Dr. Bogad!
I just wanted to tell you that I've activated my blog. See you on Tuesday.

DORIS said...

HELLO DR.BOGAD,
JUST STOPPING BY TO LET YOU KNOW THAT MY BLOG IS UP...SEE YOU TUESDAY

Chris said...

Hey Dr Bogad Ive been trying to leave you a post to let you know my blog is posted. I dont know why but they arent showing when I login, can you let me know if you are getting them? thanks
C

Demi Spit said...

I just started to dance again which is good, it only took a year and a half.

see ya tomo (:

Anonymous said...

Hellooooo, i dont know if i am doing this right, but i think i got my blog up and running.
See you tomorrow:)
Liz

Anonymous said...

http://elizabethws.blogspot.com/2007/09/just-little-something-about-me.html

okay i have no idea what i am doing..this is my address..i dont know how to link it to the class page though!

Unknown said...

Hey Dr. Bogad, I set up my blog page a while ago I just keep forgetting to post a comment on your wall with my address. See you tomorrow!

Rochelle said...

Hey Dr. Bogad sorry it took me so long to post. I finally learned how to use this! see you in class tomorrow!